Saturday, April 13, 2013

Oz The Great and Powerful (2013)

Directed by Sam Raimi
Starring Mila Kunis and James Franco
Runtime 130min. - Rated PG
3.5 Stars (out of 4)

"Oz the Great and Powerful" is "Army of Darkness". Let me make my case in the form of a synopsis.

A man gets sent to a faraway place where he is claimed to be a prophesied "chosen one". He pretends to have great power to exploit the locals but tries to ditch his responsibilities when things get dangerous. Later he redeems himself by leading the people to freedom from an evil force. He doesn't have a real army so he uses his knowledge of technology to outsmart his enemy.

So tell me, is that Ash or Oz?

Then there's the fact that both films are directed by Sam Raimi. Like in AOD Raimi uses his beloved Three Stoogies-style physical comedy. In the beginning of Oz's trip spikes poke through the hot-air baloon's basket and nearly poke him in the eyes. If seeing that doesn't invoke the memory of Ash doing battle with eye-poking underground skeletons then you probably have never seen AOD.


There's simply nothing wrong with "Oz". James Franco is his usual charming self and all three of the witches are gorgeous. Even when Mila Kunis is covered in green make-up she's beautiful. The characters are all wonderful and unique. I especially enjoyed China Girl, a china doll that Oz glues back together early on. Her personality is unforgettable.

Stil hot, but a prime candidate for a paper bag.


Oz as a landscape, is among the most colorful you'll see. It was a wise move to start the movie in a black and white 4:3 aspect ratio and later make the switch to widescreen color. Not only is it a fine ode to the original film, but it really makes you appreciate the super-saturated palette of Oz.

My sole gripe with the film is it's blatant exploitation of 3D. I saw it in 2D, so having objects constantly flying at the camera was a little annoying. I would have found it no less annoying in 3D. It's my opinion that 3D should be used to augment rather than exploit. If the scene doesn't hold up in 2D it shouldn't be used at all. That's probably why I see so few films in 3D. That and the crippling migraines it gives me.

On the whole, "Oz" was a worthy theater experience. I attended with my 8 year-old son who had no complaints. Family films are often a misnomer. "Oz" is one that both parents and children can enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. Solid review Dusty. Some parts are really slow, the story might be just a tad predictable and some visuals looked off, but I still enjoyed the movie for what is was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll admit the predictability. I never felt bored though and I thought the visuals were as good as any. It's a known fact however that I don't have an eye for art and I've often been called out on praising bad cgi simply because it all looks good to me.

      Delete