Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Q&A With Argo's Ben Affleck


Fresh off the Oscar win for Best Picture, "Argo" director Ben Affleck settles in for a Q&A with DustyOnMovies. A big shout out to Ben for donating his time.


DustyOnMovies
Congratulations on all your wins this Awards season. When did you first have the idea to make a film about this historical event?

Ben Affleck
Honestly I had never heard of the mission. It was brought to my attention one day when I sat down on my remote control and the channel accidentally switched to PBS. I changed it back as quick as possible but not before I had the idea to make the film.

DOM
How much personal effort did you put into research for the film?

Affleck
I called a Poli-Sci professor at a nearby community college and invited him to lunch. He told me everything he knew about the incident and I jotted it down as accurately as possible on the back of a Denny's napkin.

DOM
Were you concerned about playing a character of Mexican decent?

Affleck
Tony Mendez? Where'd you hear that?

DOM
It seems obvious by the name, but I looked it up to be sure.

Affleck
Honestly, I had written something down next to his name, but it smeared due to a splash of grease from my Grand Slam breakfast combo.

DOM
How do you respond to the backlash over implying that the British were unwilling to help the American diplomats in Iran?

Affleck
Just to cross all my "T's" I went straight to the source on this one. The president of Britain, Stephen Fry, assured me that Argo's account of the British betrayal was factually accurate.

DOM
The film depicts several close calls in which our protagonists nearly have their cover blown. Historical accounts seem to show a much smoother operation. Was this a deliberate embellishment to add drama?

Affleck
Before Daniel Craig was hired to play James Bond I had been asked to audition. Not only did I have a great audition, but I showed up with scripts for a planned trilogy that would have highlighted my strongest attributes as Bond. Daniel Craig won the role when I refused to grant sexual favors to the producers. Much of Argo's script was copy n' pasted from the unused Bond scripts. There's no reason to let genius go to waste.

DOM
Argo is a critical and commercial success. You've won numerous directing awards and the film now has the coveted Best Picture Oscar. What else is left to do?

Affleck
A sequel was greenlighted just last month. 

DOM
Will Tony Mendez be back?

Affleck
No, I'll be playing Nagamichu Tamagotchi, a Japanese nuclear scientist working for Iran to build an atomic bomb. Danny DeVito will be co-starring as Barack Obama. Catch it in 2014 "Argo 2: This Time We're Fucked"


Of course it's all made up. Get a sense of humor.


11 comments:

  1. I was so proud of you for a fleeting moment. Then I realized what happened and just laughed my ass off instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *slow clap*

    You had me up to the Denny's napkin incident.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I was thinking how nice Ben was to donate his time until about two thirds of the way down hahaha. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one. Now I can't wait to see what you have planned for April 1.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No offense to you, or the other commenters. But I was fairly certain I was coming into a parody from the start and I wasn't disappointed. Fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None taken. Getting a laugh is more important than fooling someone.

      Delete
  6. I am a little bummed you did not get some beard growing tips from him during this interview.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not just beard tips but a name and supplier for whatever he smoked just before that picture was taken!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So I take it you're not a fan of Argo? haha

    Very funny "interview" ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I loved Argo. This was all in jest.

      Delete