Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Weather Outside: Exclusive Q&A with director Jason Freeman


"The Weather Outside" mastermind Jason Freeman
 I recently had the chance to review a very advanced screener of Jason Freeman's "The Weather Outside" I had reviewed his brother Todd's film "Cell Count" previously. It was Todd who sent me the screener and volunteered his brother for this Q&A. A huge thanks to The Brothers Freeman for their contributions.

"The Weather Outside" is a neo-noir supernatural Christmas story in the vein of "It's A Wonderful Life" but with a little less optimism. As Jason says here, it is NOT a remake. It's an original and slightly haunting piece of fiction. Maybe not as frightful as the title implies, but it will keep you thinking. Read my full review for more.

(photos courtesy Levy Moroshan Photography)

  
I really enjoyed the film. Thanks for taking the time to answer some questions.    
I’m glad you enjoyed it.  It’s always good to get fresh eyes on it.  Especially someone that knew next to nothing going into it, which I’m assuming.

When did this project start? How long did it take you to write? How long from script to screen?
The germ of the idea came to me in the mid-nineties, not long after my first daughter Erin was born.  I was in my twenties and I’m thankful I didn’t write it then because I was too young.  It turns out it was supposed to happen now, for a lot of reasons.  I’m glad it didn’t just evaporate.  Ideas have a way of needing time, and in this case, a little bit more life experience.  As far as the writing, it all came flooding out pretty quick, probably a couple months from when I started outlining it to finalizing it.  We started pre-production a couple weeks later.

Most stories are at least partially autobiographical. Is there something in your own history that inspired the gloomy plot?
Of course.  I’m a husband and a father.  A son, a brother, a friend.  And I want to be well, I want to be successful at all these things.  I want to make these people that I love believers in me.  This is a simple story that evolved from that simple wish.  Max and I don’t have much in common, thankfully, but there are threads running around in the film that spring from moments in my life.  Most of it comes from my imagination, but some real bits managed to set all that off.

I briefly considered making this a one-question Q&A.  It would be more of a demand than a question. “Answers. I want them now ”  Was it your plan from the start to let the viewers solve the mysteries?
Absolutely.  It’s alway risky, but I believe in the audience.  You know, American audiences get a bum rap for a lot of the stuff they embrace, but I think there’s a huge audience here for films that don’t pander or explain everything.  At least I hope so.  Those are the types of movies I love the most.  There’s so much more potential for reward when you’re asked to invest yourself, even just a little.

Why Christmas? The story would have worked with any surroundings, but you’ve chosen the holidays as a backdrop to this supernatural mystery. Was that an influence from “It’s a Wonderful Life?”
It’s a Wonderful Life was the impetus for the film.  I’ve always loved it and I had an idea after watching it years ago to flip the central twist in the film.  I wondered what it might be like for a man to realize how much better off the important people in his life would be if he’d never been born.  It’s a little dark, I get it.  But at the heart of it, there’s a similar lesson to be learned from both twists.  And you know, Christmas can be the highest of highs, especially when you’re surrounded by family.  Lowest of lows when you find yourself alone.  So it all just worked for me.  Oh, and I don’t want anyone to think this is a remake or something.  It’s absolutely not  

I felt like there were some film noir roots to “The Weather Outside”. Is that true? Any specific films or directors that influenced the style? 
Film noir informs every idea that I have.  People talk so much about the black and white cinematography in film noir, but I also love the way the best noir directors moved the camera.  Fritz Lang or Jules Dassin, there are too many to name.  It’s a Wonderful Life, for that matter.  The center of that film is absolutely noir.  But I’d also drop Max Ophuls and The Twilight Zone (original series) into the mix in this particular instance.  No cranes though.  Thankfully.

I know some filmmakers flesh out their character’s history even when it doesn’t appear directly on screen. Did you have fictional histories for Max, Jodi and Bob?
No.  It was designed this way from the start.  Once it jumped forward, I wanted the audience to have just enough information to fill in the little blanks on their own.  Simple economy, trying to keep the running time in check.  All of the above.

The character credited as “Friend” who I refer to in my review as “Fedora-man”, Angel or Demon?
Both.  He’s a Friend.

Max stares at his broken reflection.
Michael Prosser was excellent as Max. He reminded me a lot of Paul Giamatti. I hear he’s talented in many other areas as well. Can you tell us a little about him? 
Mike Prosser is a multi-talented man, for sure.  A gifted actor, writer, director, make-up artist, digital effects artist, sandwich artist.  I wrote the part for him and he soared high above my expectations.  Giamatti is better though.

I considered that this film might not have a happy ending. It wasn’t obvious which way it would go. Did you ever consider completing Max’s self-destruction? 
Only Max could complete his self-destruction.  I could talk about the ending for days, but it’s crucial that people are allowed to experience it on their own.  Draw their own conclusions.  It’s all quite simple really.

It could be interpreted that max actually was destroyed. Again, am I reaching? Or are you just some sort of cinematic sadist who likes to torture his viewers by allowing for multiple interpretations?
I might be considered a cinematic sadist by someone that doesn’t enjoy participating while watching a movie.  The thing I like about it is there’s so much room for interpretation.  Each audience member brings something unique to it and that’s wonderful.

I know it’s early to think about this, but if the film is a big success would you consider doing any sequels, prequels or spinoffs? There’s certainly plenty of openings with the characters, especially Jodi and Friend. 
No, but perhaps there’s a germ here for pilot season.  I hadn’t thought of that.  Thank you

What sort of goals do you have for the film? Have you been offered theatrical distribution? Are you hoping have the movie widely available in time for Christmas?     
No offers just yet, it’s so early in the process.  I would love to have the film available in time for Christmas.  The likelihood of that... well, it’s not particularly good.  But I’m a patient man.  Christmas is always right around the corner.

Don’t you think “The Weather Outside” is way better than your brother’s film “Cell Count”?
Duh

Any other thoughts you’d like to share?
I can’t thank you enough for doing this   Sincerely.
(Dusty: Thank YOU sir!)


2 comments:

  1. Respectable ways to earn money online tend to be on the list of favorite Big Idea Mastermind selections of these seeking prospects to help acquire. As it relies on-line, your options tend to be truly ample in addition to varied. Additionally, what's needed is usually simply supplied. Cash is not actually of which large in amount consequently anyone who may have ample money can start a good on-line business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantabulous post this has been. Never seen this kind of useful post. I am grateful to you and expect more number of posts like these. Thank you very much. Millionaire Mentorship

    ReplyDelete