Monday, September 24, 2012

Lamb Chop-Ups - A Contest, An Obsession, A Victory


 Play Lamb-Chop Ups every Monday at The LAMB.
Click HERE to see the puzzles from Round 1.
Round 2 started today.

Lamb Chop-Ups is a contest on the Large Association of Movie Blogs aka The LAMB. It's the brainchild of BubbaWheat who runs the excellent superhero-themed movie blog "Flights Tights and Movie Nights". He also contributed a review to my Quirky Documentary Series for "Confessions of a Superhero".

The game starts with a message. That message usually has a hidden meaning that can be decoded for bonus points. For instance, a recent puzzle was "A History Report" and the bonus movie was "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure". The message is composed from letters that have been cropped out of movie posters. The next step in the game is to identify which poster each one came from. Usually there is a theme. With the aforementioned puzzle all the posters were from time-travel movies.


The first round of this contest consisted of 12 puzzles of varying difficulty. For whatever reason, I obsess over this game. Some of the harder contests have kept me busy for hours or even days. I tediously do image and list searches for movies that even slightly connect with the central theme of the puzzle. I wasn't really near the lead until the Heath Ledger puzzle. I happened to see it soon after it was posted and figured out the theme. Heath's career was cut short so it didn't take me long to work through all the possible posters. I actually ended up sweeping that whole game and it shot me way up the rankings. On the final puzzle I could see victory within my reach. It was a doozy. Instead of letters it contained 28 numbers cropped from 26 different films. The numbers were arranged in 7 lines as equations. After figuring out the movies that were left I had to use an online equation solver and then convert the solutions to their alphabetic equivalent.

Why would I spend so much time doing this? Why not? My job is pretty boring most days and I have a decent internet connection. 'Nuff said.

The first puzzle of Round 2 was posted today but I'm disqualified from playing. The puzzle is "Dusty On Movies" and the letters have been cut out from 13 of my favorite film's posters. I'm honored.

No comments:

Post a Comment