Sunday, July 1, 2012

Quirky Documentaries

I haven't done enough documentary reviews on my blog, though I watch many. My tastes lean towards the eccentric rather than the "important" documentaries. I don't really care to discuss "Inside Job", "Gasland", or "The Cove". It's not that I don't like films that address social issues, I've actually watched many. However, I really don't want to dwell on things like the slaughter of dolphins or the collapsing world economy. I watch the films and try to educate myself enough to carry on intelligent conversation, but reviewing them would force me to confront emotions that I'd prefer to ignore.

Instead, I want to focus on documentaries that ignore social issues. I want to learn about people I can both laugh at and pity. While none of the docs I'm about to mention give you a full understanding of the human condition, each one gives you a different perspective that can be used to widen your horizon.

Here's a list, in no particular order, of docs that I've seen and plan to review.


This list is subject to change.
Here's a few that I haven't seen, but they seem to fit the theme. I'll try to catch these soon and let you know what I think.

  • Billy T: Te Movie - About the all-around showman Billy T. James. A Maori entertainer in New Zealand.
  • Bill Cunningham New York - About an unlikely fashion photographer who lives an eccentric life while documenting what people wear in all social classes.
  • The Wild Wonderful Whites of West Virginia - A documentary about alliteration. Not really. It's about a family of extreme rednecks that are stranger than fiction. An oldie but a goodie, from what I hear.
  • Strongman - A film by Zachary Levy that I can't find anywhere. It's about a man claiming to be the strongest in the world, who also lives with his mom. I've been pining to see this since Roger Ebert reviewed it over a year ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment