Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Ramin Bahrani directs Eg anda by Sigur Ros (Music Video)

Ramin Bahrani has directed some profound and moving films. His film "Chop Shop" is on the esteemed "Great Movies" list by Roger Ebert. When I saw his name pop up in connection with a music video I took notice.

There's a lot of movies and TV shows about fictional post-apocalyptic societies. To animals, the apocalypse must have happened when man mastered fire. Since then we've been encroaching on their habitats, shooting them, domesticating them, putting them in zoos, and sometimes hanging their head on our walls. It amazes me when someone shoots a black bear because it was "on their property". Guess what, you are on their property. I understand self-defense, but in the greater sense, we're the ones who started this war. I don't know if these theories sum up what Bahrani was trying to say here or if he was simply exploring the stark contrast between the modern world and nature. Either way, I found it to be existential and mystifying.

Before you ask, I don't know the language that is being spoke. I don't think it really matters to the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment