Monday, July 11, 2011

The Human Centipede (2009)

Directed by Tom Six
Starring Dieter Laser (Rated R)

2.5 stars (out of 4)


There is a fine line between art, and filth. This film tows that line so closely that I'm not qualified to make the distinction. Perhaps there is such a thing as filthy art, or artsy filth. My rating is based on the merit of the film and not the appeal of its content. You should know that this films main gross-out factor is forced coprophagia. Google coprophagia if you don't know what it is because I'm not going into detail.

I love mad scientist movies, but this one is poorly plotted, even for the genre. Most mad scientists have huge ambition which they pursue at the costs of morality, but in Human Centipede that ambition is pretty lame. The sci-fi aspect lacks the imagination to be successful.


The lead villain gives a decent performance. The Japanese actor who is the lead centipede also gives a good performance. I hope these actors got paid well, very well. Youd have to make me rich to stick my face against some guys buttocks for hours every day.

There has been a planned sequel since the conception, Im not sure how though given the ending. Hopefully the next one will live up to its potential. My other big complaint is the opening, there is about 30 minutes of useless backstory that is quite boring. The first thirty minutes could have been cut down to 5 minutes and served the same purpose. If you are unsure whether to see this, then dont, there are plenty of better films to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment