Saturday, May 18, 2013

The Cabining: A Conversation with the Stars and Director

Melissa Mars as "Celeste"

A recently had a chance to chat with the directors and stars of upcoming horror/comedy "The Cabining". I've seen an unfinished version of the film and I think it's got a bright future. This is a very casual interview and I think my readers will enjoy it.

My subjects are: director/writer Steve Kopera, star Melissa Mars, star/producer Mike Kopera, and star Bo Keister.

I'd also suggest visiting "The Cabining's" YOUTUBE CHANNEL where you can find trailers and exclusive behind the scenes interviews.



For our screenwriters first: Where did the seeds for The Cabining begin? It seems like a cross between a buddy comedy and an Agatha Christie mystery. How would you describe it?

Steve Kopera
The idea began at DC Shorts Film Fest. Mike and I were there with another film of ours, and we befriended another filmmaker. We had just attended a seminar on low-budget filmmaking. I knew the rigors of low-budget filmmaking quite well and had sorta decided to never do it again. Yet, the presenter was pretty invigorating. So Mike, David (our friend), and I were chatting afterward, and we had this idea of a comic version of Friday the 13th.

Mike Kopera
This was September, 2011. (the DC shorts festival).

The Cabining looks pretty good for something "low-budget". How were you able to preserve quality while maintaining a workable budget?

Steve Kopera
We hired extremely talented people. And Mike is the best producer around.

Bo Keister
I second that, especially the first sentence.

Steve Kopera
Also, doing the festival rounds for a few years has introduced me to major talent. That would work for reasonable rates.

Mike Kopera
Oh, you guys. I think talented people were very attracted to the script, and we presented an opportunity to them to work on a professional project.

Steve Kopera
Anyhoo... I'd been trying to write horror for years, without much success. For the first time, I was actually inspired to write something. It happened pretty fast.

So is most of the cast people you've met before? Were there auditions for the lead roles?

Steve Kopera
Most of the key crew were people we knew. The cast were mostly new. Except for the lead. But the key was the DP, Jeffery Schultz. He led to more talent.

Mike Kopera
The cast was all new, really. I knew Angela, but she still auditioned for it.

My readers haven't seen the film yet, how much blood can they expect?

Mike Kopera
A tasteful amount I'd say. It's not a bloodbath film, but we have some pretty kick-ass SFX, impalement and what-not.

Steve Kopera
I'd say it's in line with Shaun of the Dead. It's a comedy first, horror second. There is blood, but it's not a splatterfest.

Yeah, I felt it was more in line with Roger Corman in terms of blood versus comedy.

Steve Kopera
Bo has also mentioned Scream as comparison in tone. I think that's pretty accurate.

Between takes at Shangri-La with Mark Rademacher as owner "Monroe"

The location is extremely important to this script. How many places were scouted, and how did you decide?

Steve Kopera
I scouted personally four houses. Perhaps more. I've forgotten exactly, but no doubt location scouting was a major ordeal. We needed a place that wasn't too far from civilization because we couldn't afford to cart people 1-2 hours each way. So we found a house near my parent's place in Boyne City, and my other brother Matt said, "Why don't you look for one even closer." So we asked around and discovered a house for sale that absolutely fit the bill. Right in the same neighborhood. The owner wasn't scared by the prospect of a movie crew, and everything fell into line.

Mike Kopera
Also, our production designer, Elyse Shapiro, did a heck of a job decorating the house--she found a handful of furniture and antique stores in northern Michigan who provided set decorations for us for an amazing price. I should also give a shout-out to my uncle, Mike Shell, who told us of the place. And Becky Voice, the realtor, who okayed the deal.

Since this is essentially a "buddy comedy", Mike and Bo, did you guys build chemistry off camera? Did you meet beforehand?

Mike Kopera
We skyped a handful of times, but didn't meet in person until a few days before the shoot. I picked him up from the Detroit airport and drove him straight to a Kroger to buy beer. So that's how we bonded. Bo, Steve and I spoke at least a couple times a week over the phone for a good month or two before the film.

Bo Keister
We talked on the phone, Skype, etc. But we hit it off from the beginning and it was like we'd known each other for years. We all just felt like old friends and believed wholeheartedly in the project

Steve Kopera
Yes, video chat was key. For both Bo and Melissa. Again, due to a killer producer.

Beer-drinker/actor Bo Keister as "Bruce"
I know Bo, beer's his primary payment for acting.

Steve Kopera
I think Bo polished off a case the first night.

Bo Keister
Beer? It's in my contract.



Melissa, how does a French singer end up in an american indie horror film? And after meeting Bo Keister, how bad did you miss John Travolta?

Bo Keister
HEY! I'm way hotter than Travolta. At least I think so. My mom says I am.

Melissa Mars
I'm a french singer and actress. I started as an actress before music.

Mike Kopera
Melissa submitted for the project through Actors’ Access, and when Ian Michaels (fellow producer) and I were looking through the submissions for "Celeste," we had no idea she was in France. So Melissa put herself on tape, and sent it over. She nailed it and Steve skyped with her the following day.

Melissa Mars
Yeah that's funny, they didnt know I was in France. They wanted me to show up the following day for auditioning and they didn't write in the breakdown that Celeste was French, but actually when I read the script I found out she was French! That's crazy how fast it went! I loved it! Bo was a kind of a reminder of Travolta.

Bo Keister
She was originally Hindu.

Mike Kopera
Lol Bo.

Luce Rains as the eccentric artist "Jasper"

The character of Jasper, based on a real person? A riff of some other character? I found him very interesting.

Steve Kopera
I think he's an amalgam of people I know at the University of Michigan. He's like a nutty professor with a mean streak. In fact, he could definitely work as faculty at UM. He'd fit right in.

Mike Kopera
Luce certainly brought his own sense of being to the role, made it his own. Originally, we were going to cast Jasper out of Michigan, find a local actor, but Ian got the script to Luce and he really wanted to do it!

Bo Keister
Luce was genius. Remind me to avoid UM. Psychos.

Melissa Mars
Luce and I had long night conversations while waiting at the house for our next shot. And he gave me a pendent of the angel of the actors that I kept as a key chain. This man is such a great actor and human being.

Steve Kopera
Dang, Luce just gave me a hearty handshake.

Mike Kopera
I'm still scared of Luce.

French horror has an international reputation. Having a French star, has there been international interest in the film?

Mike Kopera
I met with a few French distributors at AFM (American Film Market) in November, 2012 and they were all very curious. As soon as the film is complete, I'll start reaching out to int'l buyers and domestic distributors, using the contacts that Bo, Steve, and I have acquired in the past few years. We also plan to host a large screening in LA, to which we'll invite as many distributors and sales agents as possible, in addition to the cast and crew--to sort of drum up interest and excitement about the film.

Steve Kopera
The trailer has opened doors too. We're hoping to go traditional distribution route if possible.

Bo Keister
Of course, carrying a sign at AFM that read, "Who wants to see Melissa Mars NAKED?" helped out a lot.

Steve Kopera
Not as much as the "Who wants to see Bo Keister NAKED?" helped.

Bo Keister
The Japanese distributors were all over that one!

Mike Kopera as "Todd"
Having read the script, there's a lot of material that's improvised. Was that always the plan? What kind of improv background do you have?

Steve Kopera
Some actors improvised more than others. So it was more what the actors were comfortable with. If the improv added value, we kept it. With this cast, most of it was awesome.

Bo Keister
Well, if it wasn't the plan, it sure became the plan! Steve really let us own our characters. He gave me a huge amount of freedom to create and play, but would always reel me in if it wasn't what he wanted. But that was fairly rare. The road scene was so funny. I was sitting at the house and Mike comes in and says, "Want to go shoot some stuff?" From that point Jeff Schultz had his hands full!

Mike Kopera
The only scene I really got to improvise was the road scene with Bo, but that was one of the most fun days we had! I've done improv at The Groundlings here in LA, and also performed with a sketch comedy group called The Strait Jacket Society.
 
Melissa Mars
Well I had never thought before I would be able to improv in English. Especially in a comedy. But Bo inspired me I guess. And Steve was so open to the ideas. As long as I knew that I could throw ideas and they would be kept if they were good, I felt confident enough to improvise. For myself it was not really improv, but adding some ideas. And I loved that day when I'm drawing the dead body, and Bo and Mike were talking about smoking., feeling unconfortable about that first dead body, thinking about leaving Shangri-La, and inside of me, Celeste was like fighting to say something. I didn’t dare because it was at the end of the scene, and they were always cutting as they didnt know I wanted to improvise that line, so I went to see Steve and told him, “Ok, I (Celeste) am dying to say something, let me say it and then cut it if u don't need it.” I told him the sentence, "Poor Lacy, she died like a unicorn" and Steve then edited some scenes every night (morning actually after night shooting) and got us excited watching some footage. And when he edited that scene, and he kept that line, everybody was laughing and loved it. I must say, I was so happy! And I loved what Steve said to me about it.

What's it like working together as siblings?

Bo Keister
They compliment each other, perfectly.

Steve Kopera
Aww, Bo. It's actually been quite fun. We have a good relationship, and I think I understand what Mike wants to achieve as an actor. We've had each others best interest in mind, I think. That certainly helps.

Mike Kopera
Is there a group hug emoticon? I think we both know each others' strengths and weaknesses and try to balance each other out.
   
Again, my audience will know pretty much nothing but the trailer. Maybe the actors could give us a brief character bio and say a little about what they added to their character. And for Steve, maybe you could run down the plot a bit, no spoilers necessary.

Steve Kopera
Two hack screenwriters get one last shot at success thanks to Todd's wealthy stepdad, Sarge. If they pen a worthy horror script, Sarge will fund the entire project. They head to an artist's retreat to write in private, but they encounter much more than just inspiration.

Mike Kopera
Todd, he's a struggling writer in LA who desperately wants to pen a good script.

Bo Keister
Bruce is a true narcissist. He's a completely lazy freeloader, but there's a lovable quality about him. He really lives by the seat of his pants, and likes it that way. In his mind, everything will come together in the end, so just go with it!

Mike Kopera
I think Bruce and Todd have been friends for a really long time. From childhood or earlier, and just decided to live together upon moving to LA. And, from there, Bruce decided he’d become Todd's writing partner.

Steve Kopera
I always saw them as college roomates.

Melissa Mars
Celeste is a french artist, from wealthy parents. She loves wine (I don't) has style, is sexy and loves to be the center of attraction, she's pretty fascinated and cold face to death. After I read the script, I skyped with Steve and made some suggestions he really was receptive to. My principal concern was to be seen as a real artist, doing my art. So we found the right moments for me to be seen drawing or sculpting. I asked also for some past foundation for my character, to understand why she/I react that way when faced with death. And Steve made me the happiest when he rewrote a scene in the woods where I talk about my first experience with death. That scene is "deep" but it always ends up funny thanks to Bo/Bruce's reactions and it gives so many reliefs (hope it's the right word) to that moment.

You left out flexible Melissa. Very, very flexible Celeste is...

Steve Kopera
That was fun. "How should I stretch?" "Uh... like this..."

Melissa Mars
Yeah!! You asked me to stretch on the breakfast table!

Bo Keister
I forgot all about the Belgian waffles.

Melissa Mars
LOL!!!

Steve Kopera
Aw, man, I miss you guys!!!

Mike Kopera
Bo would sprinkle Cheerios on his Belgian waffles. Interesting culinary choice.

Bo Keister
It was delicious

Now this is journalism.

Mike Kopera
There's one moment in the film where I actually look down and give you a look about it. Not sure if it made the cut or not.

Bo Keister
I remember that! Too funny!



Angela Relucio as "Mindy"
They say every piece of art is autobiographical in some way, does this hold true for “The Cabining?”

Steve Kopera
Oh yeah. A writer trying to make it? Rings pretty true. Though, to be honest, I probably identify most with the Mindy character. With Mindy, there was an element of sarcasm and disenchantment with the norm. She wasn't afraid to lash out at people when she felt they were in the wrong. And she was a bit awkward when flirting. I think there's elements of me in all that.

Bo Keister
And Steve wore a skirt while he was writing the script, so there's that...

Mike Kopera
That was one of Steve's major notes for Angela and me during the rehearsals--BE MORE AWKWARD! I've been an actor in LA for 8 years now, so I could bring that hunger to "make it" to the role pretty easily.
   
Bo Keister
I've known many people like Bruce in my life, and I have the same type of laid back attitude too, so I guess there's part of me in him.

I'd agree with that Bo, very little hesitation in you or your character.

Bo Keister
Yeah, I had a good bead on him. From the second I read the script I wanted to play him.


I've thought about the fact that the set is so tight that “The Cabining” could work as a stage play. Ever been considered?

Steve Kopera
Nice. More royalties for Dusty.

Bo Keister
The Cabining: THE MUSICAL!!!

Blogging is lucrative. I've made $50 in just over 2 years.

Steve Kopera
Sounds about what I make as a director.

Mike Kopera
lol

Anything else you guys were hoping to address?

Steve Kopera
Original music is gonna be awesome. Getting contributions from our very own Melissa Mars and Steve Sholtes.

Melissa Mars
Just that first Steve Sholtes is doing an amazing job! I love his sounds! They add a lot to the atmosphere. And I'm happy that Steve K. and Steve S. opened the team and welcomed me to collaborate on some music, especially the end credit song. By the way, Steve Sholtes and I teamed and worked on some other songs too. We really work well together.

Steve Kopera
Yes, the end credits song is gonna rock. Nobody has heard it yet but Mel and I, you guys will dig.

So we can expect a Melissa Mars exclusive on the soundtrack?

Melissa Mars
Yeah!

I don't know what else I have to ask. It's your work. Anything you want to make sure people know about it?
   
Melissa Mars
I would like to say I fell in love with Michigan. And I would like to suggest to everyone to go there on holidays end of September / start of October to see the beauty of it. And the whole crew and cast, there was so much love. You can't understand it when you see the others talk about it, until you experience it. We all wanted to bring our best to make a great movie

Mike Kopera
Ha! I was going to say something similar! I think the film really showcases the beauty of northern Michigan, and our experience shooting up there was an amazing one.

Bo Keister
Yes! Love Michigan! Prepare for the sequel! In Europe! THE EUROPEING!!! I just want to add that this is really what happens when you have an amazing crew supporting a film. Everyone did an outstanding job. Jeff Schultz, Sam Sage, the entire camera crew, everyone.

  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this interview, it's a pleasure to know more on this film.

    Melissa Mars's fans can't wait to see it in France, Belgium, Russia, Switzerland and all around the world

    ReplyDelete