Thursday, June 14, 2012

Blue Ridge (2010)

Directed by Vince Sweeney
Starring Eric Sweeney and Audra Glyn Smith
Runtime 90min. - Not rated

Star Rating...5th Amendment!!?

"Blue Ridge" is available on Vudu, Itunes and Amazon Instant.
It's also screening in select theaters.

I'm going to invoke my 5th amendment rights in terms of a star rating for this film. It's been filmed in Craig County and Roanoke, Virginia. Since I spend at least 40 hours a week in Roanoke, I am always grateful for a movie to be made there. I couldn't give an unbiased grade to the film and I don't want to make filmmakers feel unwelcome in my hometown. Therefore, I abstain. Instead I'll just discuss my thoughts on the film and allow the reader to project whatever tone they choose.

"Blue Ridge" follows the exploits of J.T., a tire salesman and handyman whose entire world exists on an isolated patch of mountainside. I got the feeling that we're supposed to be sympathetic to J.T. I certainly wasn't. He seems to be a nice enough guy. He likes everyone except homosexuals, Mexicans, blacks, feminists, yapping dogs, and people who talk on phones. Now that I think about it, he really only likes one person, Sara.



J.T. has the mental capacity and speech pattern of Forrest Gump. Sara isn't much smarter, but at least she's legitimately sweet. With their thoughts traveling on two very different paths, the couple simultaneously reach a point where they decide it's best to move away. For Sara, the move represents a chance to seek the "American dream". Her ambitions are simple; get a little money, get married and live happily ever after. J.T. operates at a different wavelength. He sees most of his neighbors as sinners and wants to move away from, rather than towards something.

"Blue Ridge" is the 2nd film shot on location in my neck of the woods within the past 2 years. It's much, much better than the other one. Though I question some of the decisions by both the filmmakers and the characters, I can't find much fault on the technical level. The actors all do their jobs well. The accents are a bit thick, but authentic. Almost every scene looks to be directed with care and patience by Vince Sweeney.

For me, the biggest drawback is how the area was represented. There were two characters with both morals and brains. One dies and the other moves away. The rest of the characters are either nice with low I.Q.'s or intelligent assholes. It would have been satisfying to see a more accurate sample of the local population. I know the area very well and it has folks of all religions, colors, and sexual orientations. Travel a few short miles to the city and you can find both Pride parades and diversity celebrations. I'm not saying we don't have a few close-minded redneck sumbitches, but they're just a small part of an otherwise friendly area.

Despite occasionally grimacing at the characters, I managed to enjoy myself. I think my local movie-loving brethren will take pleasure in seeing a setting they can truly connect with. People who aren't familiar with the area probably won't be bothered by the things I've mentioned, which will allow them to savor the superior storytelling. My guess is that the film will be divisive among viewers, which isn't a bad thing. What good is a piece of artwork if it doesn't provoke conversation? In regards to that question, this is my kind of film. Come for the popcorn, stay for the debate.

No comments:

Post a Comment